Day by day, more and more people are staying away from the manual labour side of cleaning and if your living space creates dirty floor faster than you have time to vacuum it, then you need to consider a Robot vacuum cleaner.
Robot vacuum cleaners are generally considered a smarter way to keep your home dirt free and the best part about owning a robot cleaner is that it cleans your household without you doing anything, that is why I decided to try out various vacuum cleaners from Neato in other to get the first-hand experience of how the robot actually works. I tried out the Neato Botvac D3, D5, D7 and D80 and today, I will be giving you my honest review about each of these robot vacuum cleaners. Let’s get started.
- 1 Side to side comparison of Neato Botvac D3, D5, D7 and D80
- 2 Product review – Neato Botvac D3
- 3 Product review – Neato Botvac D5
- 4 Product review – Neato Botvac D7
- 5 Product review – Neato Botvac D80
- 6 Comments and Conclusion
Side to side comparison of Neato Botvac D3, D5, D7 and D80
Below chart outlines the comparison of four models from functions to features:
What makes them difference?
Neato Botvac D80 and the Neato D7 are professional robot vacuums capable of harvesting tons and tons of hair alongside other debris on various surfaces such as hardwood, tiles, linoleum, carpets, polished concrete and rugs. The performance of Botvac D3 is also quite impressive on the hardwood but it has difficulties cleaning up tight edges. The Neato D5’s does an outstanding cleaning job, all due to its Ultra Performance Filtration which makes it better at picking up dirt and dust.
Both the Botvac D3 and Botvac D80 are not expensive compared to other robots with similar qualities. The Botvac D3 is the cheapest costing $399 while the Botvac D80 cost $499 respectively. On the other hand, the Neato D5 is a little bit pricey costing $599 while the Neato D7 is way too pricey. If you want to purchase the D7 it will cost you about $799. The Botvac D3 is a winner here because of its cheap price and yet it still does a decent cleaning job.
The Botvac D3 uses a standard filtration system which is the most basic filter that Neato offers, but its advantage is that it is the most affordable one to replace as needed. On the other hand, both the Botvac D7 and the Botvac D80 uses a high-performance filter which does a great job in picking up the smallest particles, dust and allergies Meanwhile the Neato Botvac D5 comes with the Ultra-Performance filter which is the best filter produced by Neato. It is one step away from the high-performance filter and two steps up from the standard filter on the Neato D3 vacuum cleaner.
The Botvac D80 and the Neato D7 comes with two substitutable combo and spiral brushes. The Spiral brush is a versatile cleaning brush which is good on all floor types and the Combo brush was designed for picking up hairs without tangling. Meanwhile, the Botvac D3 and the D5 has the Combo brush, which is sufficient for cleaning most floor type. That said it doesn’t have side brush that offers cleaning wall edges and corners.
The Botvac D7 was built with a LaserSmart mapping and Navigation technology that allows it to map the room, determine where the obstacles are and find out the best way to clean up. Despite being cheap, the Botvac D3 and D5 were also built with the LaserSmart intelligent navigation system, a feature that is usually on more expensive models. The downside here is that the Botvac D3 takes longer to map out floors before cleaning. The Neato D80 usually avoids tight enclosed spaces, but if it can sense sufficient clearance on each side, it will go forward and continue to clean no matter the consequences and it can spend up to 10 minutes puzzling over how to get out.
The Botvac D3 is very limited in terms of the area it can cover during a cleaning session, it can only cover 1,800 square feet. The Neato D80 cover 3,000 square feet. While both the Botvac D5 and the Botvac D7 have a wider cleaning radius amounting to 4,500 square feet.
Charging, Runtime and Resume
The Botvac D3, the D5, the D7 and the Botvac D80 upon detection low battery, stop cleaning and navigate its way back to the charging base. it takes about 3 hours to charge up and once charged again, their mapping technology helps them get back to where they left off the only major difference here is the battery capacity and Run time. On the Botvac D3 the battery capacity is 2,100 mAH and can only run for about 60 minutes while on the other hand, both the Botvac D80 and the Botvac D5 battery capacity is 3,000 mAH and can run for about 90 minutes. The Botvac D7 is far superior both with its battery and runtime, it uses a high capacity extended lithium-Ion battery which provides a run time up to 120 minutes with a single charge.
Product review – Neato Botvac D3
What is in the box?
- Neato D3 X 1
- Integrated Charge Base X 1
- Power Cord
- Combo Brush
- Standard filter
Neato Botvac D3 is one of the low-priced, hands-free cleaning robots that bring professional care to homes. This very easy to operate Robot vacuum cleaner has the ability to connect Wi-Fi enabled devices with a free App for your smartphone which is available for both iOS and Android devices to control the robot vacuum cleaner.
The Neato D3 does a better job in navigating and mapping around the house, it possesses a sophisticated LaserSmart mapping and navigation system which allows the robot cleaner to move back and forth, along the edges of the room in a lawnmower style pattern, avoiding all obstacle that it may encounter along the way and clean around them. The suction power on the Neato D3 is impressive, its Spin low brush technology gets a deeper clean on carpets, rugs and on the hardwood. The Botvac D3 unique design enables it to be corner clever, getting closer to the walls that most circular robots can’t reach for better cleaning and it can clean up to 1,800 square feet in one cleaning cycle. Its main features include:
- Dimension: 12.7 X 13.2 X 3.9 inches
- Weight: 8 pounds
- Wi-Fi Connectivity
- SLAM-based multi-room Navigation
- Daily Scheduled cleaning
- Auto-Charge and Resume
- SpinFlow Power Clean
- Automatically return to charging base when the battery is low
- Manual controllable and it can also be Voice controlled via Amazon Alexa, Google Home and Neato Chatbox.
- It is equipped with a large 0.7L dust bin.
- Good transition between different surfaces most especially between tiles and rugs.
- Short run time, about 60 minutes, it will have to recharge often.
- No Eco or Turbo mode and slow.
- It gets stuck in tight space and on small hard objects frequently.
Product review – Neato Botvac D5
What is in the box?
- Wi-Fi enabled Robot Vacuum X 1
- Integrated charge base X 1
- Power cord X 1
- Combo Brush X 2
- Ultra Performance Filter X 2
- Side Brush X 2
- Boundary marker (2M)
- filter cleaning tool
The Neato Botvac D5 robot vacuum cleaner is an ideal robot for homes with pets and people suffering from allergies.
This robot cleaner was designed with numerous distinct features which makes it unique among other vacuum cleaners. The filtration system installed on this robotic cleaner is of high class. The Ultra-performance filter captures the tiniest particles and airborne dust as small as 0.3 microns. The Botvac D5 robot cleaner is an intelligent navigator.
It light weight and compact properties makes it easily and reliably glide over various floor surfaces such as hardwood, rug, carpet, tile and hard floor. It also has a simple to use Neato app which can be download from the Apple App store and Google Play store.
With the modern design with displays the battery, status, position and cleaning summary. It also possesses another technology called SLAM which helps the robot to work out where it has and hasn’t cleaned so whenever the battery runs out the Botvac D5 will recharge itself and then return to where it left off.
Its other features include:
- Dimension: 12.7 X 13.2 X 3.9 inches
- Weight: 7.5 pounds
- Ultra-performance filter
- Edge Cleaning technology
- High Capacity Lithium Ion Battery
- Extensive smart Home Support
- It is Wi-Fi enabled which ensures that it connects to Wi-Fi enabled devices such as the Amazon Alexa and Google Home.
- Good battery life and auto recharge docking station.
- The robot will not go over dark floors of rugs because the cliff detection sensor often thinks it’s a cliff.
- Its dustbin is small meaning it needs to be emptied more often.
- No turbo and Eco mode and some connectivity issues.
Product review – Neato Botvac D7
Neato Botvac D7 is one of the latest robotic vacuum from Neato, it has a D shaped body with black and silver aesthetics while the Neato logo sit on top of the round protrusion containing the scanning infrared laser system.
The silver panel toward the front of the Neato D7 has a manual start button and four LED icons that shine through the plastic which indicate various control modes which are House clean mode, Spot clean mode, Wi-Fi status and battery status.
It is a highly developed vacuuming system with Laser smart mapping and navigation system which can map out rooms even in complete darkness and a cliff detection sensor that enables it to avoid stairs. Possibly one of the most advanced features the Neato D7 has is the inclusion of the NO-GO lines, the NO-GO are digital lines you can draw on the Neato app on your smartphone after the Neato D7 have mapped out your home.
With these lines, you can easily mark off areas that you don’t want the robot cleaner to clean. Its biggest advantage is the D-shaped design, allowing the vacuum to clean more professionally, reaching difficult places easily.
Notable features include:
- Dimension: 12.5 X 13.2 X 3.9 inches
- Weight: 7.7 pounds
- Laser Smart Mapping and Navigating System – No Go Area.
- Digital Memory Mapping
- Wireless Connectivity
- Ultra-High Performance filter
- Programmable No-Go areas that allow you to block off limited areas without having the need to buy magnetic strips of tape
- Laser Navigation will work even when there are no lights on and its low profile design means it will go under furniture’s without having problems.
- Extended 90 minutes run time with recharge and resume function allows the robot cleaner to clean for a longer period till the job is done.
- It has a dirt bin that can hold 0.7 liters of dry dirt, which allows multiple cleaning sessions.
- It doesn’t have mopping features.
- Higher price tag than most robot vacuum cleaners on the today which makes it a tougher sell.
- Large footprint makes narrow gaps hard to navigate.
- Its D style shaped body doesn’t really allow the cleaner to turn well in the tight corner as a circular robotic vacuum cleaner would.
- It has a wide cleaning path which means it sometimes doesn’t go in to clean narrow areas and between the furniture’s and always concentrate on the wide area.
Product review – Neato Botvac D80
What is in the box?
- Integrated Charge Base
- Power Cord
- Boundary Maker
- Combo Brush and Spiral Brush cleaning tool
- Standard filter
The Botvac D80 is a high-performance Robot vacuum cleaner best for picking up hair, dust and allergens, precisely designed for homes by Neato. It’s one of the best intelligent mid-range robots uses Laser Smart technology to determine the best way to efficiently clean floors in other to save time and battery and also automatically goes back to its charging station to juice up power and return to where it left off to finish the cleaning. It comes with a combo brush that helps to pick up hair, dirt and dust, a side brush and the corner clever technology all that helps to keep the corners and edges clean and High-performance filter which was designed to clean varieties of surfaces, including hardwood, carpets, linoleum, tiles and rugs.
Its other features include:
- Dimension: 12.7 X 13.2 X 3.9
- Weight: 9 pounds
- Laser Smart Mapping technology
- Advanced SpinFlow Power system
- Auto charge and Resume
- High Performance Filter
- Multipurpose brush efficient in picking up pet hairs.
- Effective wall to wall and corners cleaning up to 3000 square feet per cycle.
- Amazing at navigation, it will clean up all your floor in a smart and reliable way.
- Provide the efficient route to finish cleaning job in a short time.
- No remote control, No Wi-Fi connect feature.
- No Turbo/Eco mode, No carpet boost mode.
- The Neato D80 is not a quiet robot cleaner, it is quite noisy.
Comments and Conclusion
Considerations of the Botvac D3, D5, D7 and D80
The Botvac D80 is a perfect robot with high-performance properties, specially designed for the home with the pet, it combo brush does a great job in picking up hairs without tangling up, its other advantages include larger brush, bigger waste bin and precise edge cleaning.
The Neato D7’s biggest advantage is that it can run without the need to be charged for about 120 minutes while on Eco mode and a battery run time of 90 minutes while on Turbo mode.
The Botvac D5 is a Wi-Fi enabled device, it has the ability to connect to Wi-Fi allowing users to control with the Smartphone, Neato App and other Wi-Fi enabled devices.
One can’t overlook the fact that the Neato D3 is a low budget Robotic vacuum cleaner that cleans as efficient as the high priced vacuum cleaners. Also one must also consider the fact that the Botvac D3 makes less noise.
How to choose between them
If you are on the budget or you just don’t want to spend a lot of money on a vacuum cleaner and yet you want a high-performance robot cleaner, you should definitely go for the Botvac D3.
If you want a robot cleaner that can cover a wide area, I will suggest the Botvac D5.
If you want a robot cleaner that can go for 2 hours without having the need to recharge, I will suggest the Botvac D7.
On the other hand, if you have pets that shred hair a lot, Botvac D80 will be a good choice.
Neato Botvac D3, D5, D7 and D80 are all great robot vacuum cleaners that possess the great list of features, its good at getting your cleaning job done and these products are hard to beat; they can map out your home avoiding areas you digitally block off with a touch of a finger using the App. These robots do a decent job in cleaning all floor types as well as navigating around your home without difficulties and they don’t require babysitting.
They all have the “D-shape” design on appearance. If you are concerned about clean floors especially in the house, they will both prove their worth in cleaning. Although few features are still lacking in these robots like the ability to mop which is now becoming a new trend in the more resent robot vacuum cleaners. The bottom line here is that robot cleaners were built to make cleaning job easier and these robotic vacuum cleaners will help you achieve that.